Vivian Belle YWCA Scholarship Fund
This scholarship is awarded annually to students who have demonstrated work and commitment in the area of gender equity. It facilitates their continued work in this area at the University of Southern California and in the community. This scholarship, funded by donations in honor of Belle Vivian, will be awarded annually to an undergraduate student at the University of Southern California. A recipient receives $5,000 in the form of tuition reimbursement for one academic year.
• Identify as female
• Be a freshman at the time of application, and sophomore during the year in which she receives scholarship funds
• Have a minimum 3.0 GPA after completion of 32 units at the University of Southern California
• Be a full-time student and carry at least 12 units
• Be enrolled in classes at the University Park Campus or Health Science Campus
• Not already be receiving a scholarship that pays for 100% of tuition
• Be able to design and implement a 30-hour community service project over the course of the fall and spring semesters (e.g. organizing topical events in conjunction with the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services
• The Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services will verify an applicant’s eligibility.
Applicants must submit the following information and materials to be considered.
• Resume: This should be no more than two (2) pages and submitted in PDF form.
• Letters of recommendation: A minimum of two (2), but no more than three (3), letters of recommendation are required. Letters should address the selection criteria listed below and additional qualifications that are not otherwise reflected in the application. Applicants are required to submit the recommenders’ contact information (name, title, organization, email address and phone number). Letters of recommendation may be submitted in hard copy or by email. If submitted in hard copy, recommender must sign across the seal, which should be secured. If submitted by email, recommenders may send the letter to Ekta Kumar, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure the letter is attached as a PDF and includes the recommender’s signature. Applicants will be notified by email after each letter is received. If an email confirmation has not been received within five (5) business days of the deadline, the applicant holds the responsibility to follow up with the recommender.
• Application questions: Submit a typed statement that addresses the following four (4) items.
1. Describe your extracurricular involvement at USC and/or in the community.
2. Explain your professional and/or career aspirations.
3. Discuss how this scholarship would enhance your experience at USC and would help you achieve your professional goals.
4. Write a proposal (500 words or less) describing a 30-hour community service project you would implement. Refer to the RSVP’s mission statement when proposing your project, to make sure it fits with the focus of the center. Please incorporate a timeline for the project, including monthly status reports through in-person meetings with RSVP staff.
Submission: If submitting a hard copy of the application, submit all material simultaneously in a large sealed envelope/folder. The application should be brought to the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services in ESHC 356. If submitting by email, attach all material in PDF form to one email message. Send the message to Elizabeth Reyes, Interim Director at email@example.com. In the subject line, place SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION. A confirmation notice will be sent upon receipt. If a confirmation notice is not received within five (5) business days, call the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services at 213-740-4900 to verify receipt.
Applicants are evaluated based on academic standing, personal merit, financial need, and community and/or campus involvement related to gender equity. Applicants who best meet the criteria will be interviewed by the selection committee.
Terms of Disbursement
Awards will be disbursed by the beginning of the fall and spring semesters of each recipient’s sophomore year. The award will be distributed in equal installments of $2,500 credited directly toward tuition. If the above requirements are not met throughout the year the scholarship is awarded (GPA, volunteer hours, full-time enrollment), recipients must refund the scholarship. Scholarship recipients must keep the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services informed of any changes in their academic status, mailing address, telephone number and email address. Please call the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention and Services at 213-740-4900 with any questions.